Tuesday, December 27, 2005

`Have you guessed the riddle yet?' the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.


Well, it has happened again. I have allowed myself to be lured into the lair of a very willing and pliable male*. I went to the bar** last night, suspecting that he would be there. Shameful. He arrived soon after I had, much to my ill-gotten delight, and came over to me. The evening was fairly uneventful--except for the hoards of males that happened to be there and happened to find my sister and I more than worthy of their attention--and when my sister wanted to go home, I, like the foolish female I am, drove her the few blocks and then went right back to the bar.
At the close of the bar, this young man turned to me and asked, "Time to go home?" This is a weird question not because he has never asked me it before, but because it A) assumes that I not only want to go home with him, that I am able to go home with him, and B) sounds like the "home" we are going to is "ours." Both of these implications would be fine, if we were dating, but we aren't! And, again being a foolish female, I shake my head "yes," instead of sassily questioning the meaning, and off we go.
Now, at first glance, it seems that this young man wants me for something, and it isn't necessarily my intellect (although we do have some good conversations). But, for instance, at the bar last night, while I was talking to the hoards of guys that seemed to all land at once, the young man would stare to catch my glance and smile, or, when sitting next to me, would rub my back or poke me--which, clearly, is just this side of peeing on me. Also, one time when were settling into bed--ahem, to sleep, not "sleep" but for real sleep, snoring and REM included--he mumbled something, but when I asked him to repeat it, he said, "Nothing, it's just good to be with you."
So, I don't know. And, being the chicken poop that I am, I haven't asked what is going on. I actually like where we are, if we are somewhere, but I would like to be able to define what we are, and I would like to know what he thinks of me. Just being nosy, I guess. I by no means need a relationship at this point in my life, so I don't want him to think that, nor do I want to scare him off by having him think that I want to make what we have more. Ok, well, maybe I would like more of a something with him, but nothing serious, just someone to do things with on occasion. More of a benefit with whom I am friends, than the other way around. Oh, and his roommate, after meeting her for the first time and talking with her for a while (she is a Douglass grad), turned to me and said, "I'm sure I'll see you again," before she went to bed. Sarcasm? Hope for her roommate that I will be around again? Or was she really saying, "I know I will see you again...he always brings his girls over more than once." Am I obsessed? Yes, I probably am, but more out of boredom than anything. It could be anyone and I would be obsessing the same way.


*He who shall remain nameless.
**A recent haunt of mine, which shall also remain nameless.

5 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

No more obsessed than me clicking to check someone's away message and idle time 100 times a day. In fact... probably less obsessed. And at least you're getting some... sleep... out of it.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Alison Wonderland said...

But, if I am getting so much sleep, why am I so tired?? Oh, and, PS: the young man's friend, a bartender at the bar, is apparently taken, which I would have never been able to tell by the way he acts towards me. He hasn't pushed himself on me or anything, he is just very friendly. Very friendly. I think that I need to find a new bar.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Al, have I been to said haunt with you? Hmmmm...silly girl, I just want to know if he is good at the "sleeping"? And if he ends up peeing on you at the bar that's when you know it must end.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Alison Wonderland said...

Um, most likely you have been to said haunt, but I don't think that you have been there with me. Maybe possibly, but I don't think so. And, have you been peed on at a bar? AND, how do you know that being peed on at a bar is a deal breaker??

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Ok, so maybe it isn't a deal breaker for everyone. But if some boy peed on me at a bar as a way of warding off the other possible boys...I would have to call it quits. Of course if you really liked him, maybe some might find it charming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home