Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I heart The Arcade Fire


There is this little band from the land to our north named The Arcade Fire. They hold a very special place in my heart, for these reasons:

1) They are one of the few bands that is able to weave mind and soul, with a touch of quirkiness, into each and every one of their songs.
2) They are successful at achieving a "wall of sound" without seeming too grandiose or pretentious.
3) Neither of the singers can sing, but that matters not a stitch.
4) The Arcade Fire is one of the reasons why a dear friend of mine and I started to get to know each other.*
5) And, at the risk of sounding melodramatic, they have added a new meaning and texture to my life and the way that I view the world.

For these reasons, as well as others that I am not able to fully put into words, they have touched me. Also, I am very protective of them. I do want them to do well, but I am almost horror stricken at the idea that The Arcade Fire will become so big that they will be left at the mercy of the public of this mercilous country. The reason why I am so horrorified is because I was recently watching a Tivo'ed episode of The Gilmore Girls, in which Rory turns to Lorelai and askes if her mom would like her to copy The Arcade Fire into Lorelai's computer. Now, I am aware that I should be happy that they are getting exposure, but it is like having a favorite, out of the way bar suddenly unindated with college kids. True, they are going to make more money, which they deserve, but at what cost? Will we see them on TRL? Is "Neighborhood #3 (Lights Out)" going to be the latest ring-tone? Are high school seniors going to be swaying to "Crown of Love" at their proms? Ok, this is the end of my rant...and I hope that in ranting I have not done anymore damage (even though you really should check them out...but don't tell anyone else). End Scene.


*Jim Deal September 23, 1986- July 26, 2005

6 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

If it makes you feel any better... I promise not to listen to them ;o)

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Arcade of Fire, huh? I trust your judgement Al... now all I have to do is remember to listen to them when I get home!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Meg said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Meg said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Sorry about the extra comments... it added my orginal comment 3 times!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Christine said...

ALISON! what's shakin mama! Yay now I can stalk you too! we really have become the geekiest people ever.

Love you. And I've known "Lights out" for about 6 months now...and I enjoy the Arcarde Fire

 

Post a Comment

<< Home