Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Do you know what grinds my gears?

The fact that when someone, either a complete stranger that I happen to be in a situation with or an acquaintance, asks "How are you?" it is more of a formality than the fact that they actually care. "How are you?" has become an empty greeting, which, as soon as the person asks it, hopes that the other person doesn't give an honest answer. What kind of society have we become? Lately, due to the weather mostly, I have noticed that when I ask customers of mine how they are doing, they usually answer, "I am doing well," or something similar, and they sound like Eeyore.* Why can't they tell me how they feel? Tell me you feel like shit. Tell me that you are stressed because your dog made you late by eating all the toothpaste. I asked, I deserve to know. I actually call out the Eeyores by asking them how they really feel, usually after laughing at/with them. If someone asks me how I am doing, I tell them my life story, so, they should feel comfortable enough, if they are still conscious, to tell me their story. I care, really I do. Or, at least I will pretend to.

*Each word is said slightly deeper and slower than the one previous.

1 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Shame of it is, I almost never say just, "I'm doing well, thanks!" but rather respond, "I'm okay, stressed, tired..." most people relate and then we can talk about it. Unless I'm really happy and good, then I just say I'm well, and I'm all cheerful about it. Classy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home