Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Tweedle Dumb?

Am I dumb? I mean, ever since I was about yay big people have been telling me that I am intelligent. I have taken IQ tests, was placed in a G&T* school for 4th through 6th grades, and have had miriads of people marvel** at my large brain. Why then, Oh Why, am I not only working as a bookkeeper for my 9-5, but also moon-lighting as the bookkeeper for the tattoo shop I go to, when I despise bookkeeping??
I hate all things related to bookkeeping:
  1. Money-necessary? Only because it was made so, therefore I hate it.
  2. Owing people and having to explain why certain bills have yet to be paid. This is partially due to the fact that I don't like having people mad at me or, gasp, disappointed in me.
  3. Calling people that owe us, because not only am I responsible for A/P's, I am responsible for A/R's*** There is nothing worse, well except for #2, than having to track down dead-beat accounts (especially when we keep doing work for said dead-beats).
  4. I am stuck behind a computer.

I mean, it even took my sister asking me why I would do the bookkeeping for the shop if I hate bookkeeping for me to even question my motives, if there are any at all. At least, if there were motives, then I wouldn't be keeping the books for the shop as a side gig just for the hell of it. Sure, I want to help out my tattooist, who does fabulous work and who cuts me a break, but at what cost? I won't be there that often, a few hours here and there, but I don't know why I am going to be their bookkeeper. I mean, I even asked her if she would like me to take over the task. I am getting paid, so it isn't a volunteer job, but I am certain that I am much dumber than I was led to believe, and I am a bit upset at this.



*Gifted and Talented, thank you very much.
**Ok, I might be exaggerating, but they have told me that I am smart.
***While I do hate bookkeeping, I am still jealous that people have jobs where they are in charge of only A/P's or A/R's and not both...and I almost want one of those jobs. Grass is always greener?

4 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Al... come moonlight for us. Yes, you'd probably be behind a computer for the most part... but it would be editing and writing and all sorts of 'fun' stuff that I'd only trust a smart person (like you) to do.And if you want a longer position... like if you decide to stay throughout grad school or whatever... there's always that option too. Plus there's a potential field project in the works for the summer that involves nationwide travel (not deskwork).

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Alison Wonderland said...

I really do want to check into working with you, but I think that I would need the prospect of a full-time to get me to leave my day job. I was thinking about working a whole mess of part-times, but then I have insurance to think about.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Christine said...

I too was in G/T!

And yet I chose to waste three years and X amounts of money in law school...the stupidity knows no bounds!

I say you should start looking for something else that will pay the bills and make you happy. (But in the meantime, ain't nothing wrong with a job, any job, that allows you to pay your bills.)

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Alison Wonderland said...

Does marrying a rich old man count as a job?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home